Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, June 21, 2010

Life in the slow lane

So life in the slow lane...meaning staying home with my girls this summer...has been pretty nice so far. Don't get me wrong, having a 7 yr old, a 4 yr old, and a 2 week old baby home has been almost as much work as actually going to my paying job every day but it has been much more enjoyable and rewarding. By slow lane I mean not having deadlines to meet, not much rushing from one place to another, more time to focus on my children and their needs/wants, and a lot less yelling on my part. I have realized that our days were full of....

"hurry up, we are running late"
"we don't have time for breakfast, you'll have to eat at school"
"It may past your bed time and you are tired but we just got home from (insert sport name, grocery store, etc.) but you have to do your homework and there is no time for a shower before bed"
"hurry get in the car so that we can go get your sister, go home get cleaned up and meet (insert family or friends name) for dinner"
"no, I can't go your school program or field trip because I have to work"
"no, you can't wear that because it is not clean since I haven't had time to do laundry"
"I'm sorry your sick but I can't stay home with you so you will have to go to grandma's today"
"Lets have fast food because I haven't had time to go shopping or cook tonight" (and we always end up eating way too late)
"babe, your story is way to long and I don't have time to listen to this whole thing, hurry up and get to the point" (so sad)
ohhhh....hummm....yep lots and I am sure that there will be lots more of that when I go back to work in lat August. But for now....the girls and I are loving every minute that we have together.

Now our days are now mostly full of....
"yes, you can stay up a little past your bed time"
"yes, we can go to the library, park, for a walk, to swim, etc."
"I don't wanna stop tickling you"
"We have dinner plans tonight so lets read this book, or play, or paint this picture now before we have to start cleaning up and get ready for dinner"
"You (or daddy) wants (insert dinner name here) tonight? Ok, lets go shopping now so that we can have dinner ready when daddy gets home from work"

I must say....it sure has been nice. I love my babies and being able to actually enjoy them and not have to rush from place to place has sure made my patience level go way up. Now playing pretend karate fighting in this kitchen with my girls while I cook doesn't seem to bother me as much as it did before. :o)

0 comments: